Monday, October 10, 2011

Injera - Ethiopian sourdough bread (Vegan)

This was an experiment and there are several notes below. I am glad I did it once, but I am unlikely to do it again anytime soon. 


Here is my first attempt based on the book "Wild Fermentation" - Sandor Ellix Katz
2 cups of 1 week old sourdough starter.
2 cups of flour. I used whole wheat bread flour
2 cups of Teff.
5 cups lukewarm water.

Mix, cover and keep in a warm place. Stir often as you can. I let mine sit for 28 hours.

I used a cast iron skillet with saffron oil on the bottom heated just a couple of notches on on the gas stove controller.  Anyhow, it should be well below the midway point or it will brown.

5 mins before making it, I added 1 tsp of baking soda and I let it sit for 3 mins. Then I added 1 Tablespoon of salt.

Pour like a crepe into the hot pan and cover. Pour it fast so that the center isn't too think.  (I used a cookie sheet to cover it).  When it bubbles it is done. No need to flip. (although I did flip a few.) It took a few to get the timing right, but it seemed like mine cooked in 5-6 mins without browning too much. Stack with towels or spread them out to cool. For a few of them, I added water to the mix to make the batter thinner but it didn't seem to make too much of a difference.

My sourdough starter was all whole wheat - ground from wheat berries in the BlendTec. If you need my instructions for the starter, let me know.


After I cooked the first couple in a pan with a tin foil cover, I thought "I'll never do this again". Once I realized it could just walk away with a cookie sheet on top and with the timer set to 5 min. it became really easy.

After more reflection, if I was doing this for a restaurant I would use a commercial sourdough yeast starter packet instead. (The type you start the day before cooking.) In fact, I would even just try a regular yeast packet but start it the... night before. While it is cooking, I would try adding a little salt. I prefer WW flour, but if I was selling it for money, I would really try to see work on the combinations of flours. Maybe even ¾ teft, ¼ something else. I am not loving my sourdough starter, so next time I will try commercial yeast.
 



20 hours of injera batter sitting in my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment